1) Who says you can’t wear white after Labor Day? There are so many fashion rules (and I think I’ve broken them all), so I wanted to do a post showcasing why these rules were made to be broken. Case in point, white is so winter chic! It helps me transition my summer wardrobe into fall/winter effortlessly. It also looks great with any color, so I can throw it on with anything! I also love the crispness of white apparel lately. My closet used to be 89% black, but over time it has migrated to a less harsh, more energizing color. Wearing white makes me feel angelic and ethereal; don’t make me lose that feeling just because it’s cold outside!
Other fashion “rules” I enjoy breaking:
2) Don’t mix blue and black.
This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. One of my favorite blazers for work is a combination of blue and black, making it extremely versatile. Also, I still believe black goes with anything… blue, brown, pink, red. Let’s not take ourselves so seriously.
3) Dress to please your partner.
I take issue with this statement for a variety of reasons, but let’s just focus on one part of it for now. My partner does not always like the same outfits as me. In fact, if I only partially tuck a top into pants (as opposed to tucking it in all the way), he thinks it looks sloppy. I think it looks cute and trendy. I could alter my style to please him (insert eye roll), or acknowledge that my fashion choices are a part of my personality and embrace them. I’m sure you know the side on which I fall.
4) Don’t wear horizontal stripes.
Why did people concoct this stilly rule? Because wearing horizontal stripes might not show you as your thinnest self? Thinness isn’t everything, people. Horizontal, vertical, whatever stripes… I can’t get enough of ’em. Layer them up with a blazer and ripped jeans. Enjoy your day. The end.
5) Don’t mix gold and silver jewelry.
Ha! I do this daily and I love it. My wedding ring is white gold and my mother’s wedding ring (which I wear daily) is yellow gold. I mix them with whatever other accessories (gold watch, silver and gold necklace) I feel compelled to wear.
The takeaway: fashion should be fun! Let go of outdated rules and dress in whatever way makes you feel best!
Any fashion rules you enjoy breaking? Or maybe there are some you feel drawn to adhere to? Where did you learn these rules from (e.g., mother, fashion magazine)?